The Educational Assistant / Human Service Worker program aims to prepare learners for a rewarding career in community and school-based human services. The program is founded in a strong understanding of community living values and ethics. The coursework and work placements facilitate the development of strong interpersonal and intrapersonal skills, knowledge and awareness. Graduates leave the program with a suite of advanced therapeutic and educational skills.
Learners will develop the capacity to work collaboratively as part of interdisciplinary teams, focused on the psycho-social-emotional welfare of persons-served.
After successfully completing the program, graduates will work on the frontline with vulnerable children, youth and adults across various educational and community-based (non-medical) settings. These include schools, community inclusion programs, youth programs, drop-in centres, shelters, group homes, community mental health programs, and outreach programs.
For admission in the program, applicant must meet ONE of the criteria from #1 to 3 and #4, 5 and 6. Applicants seeking financing from StudentAid BC must meet criteria described under #1.
1. The student has graduated from grade 12 or equivalent (B.C. high school diploma, B.C. Adult Graduation Diploma, General Educational Development) or an equivalent secondary school completion from another jurisdiction,
2. Secondary school completion (equivalent to BC grade 12) from a jurisdiction where English is a primary language, official language and the language used for education.
3. Apply as a mature student who did not graduate from high school but is at least 19 years of age and provide
proof of English language proficiency passing one of the following:
• Grade 12 or higher-level English course.
• High School English 12: At least C from an Englishspeaking country – list given on above mentioned link under #2.
• University or College level English course (non‐ESL): At least C from an institution where English is the language of instruction.
• RBCo English Placement Exam: 75%
• Completion of RBCo ESL Level 5 (minimum 75% marks) or equivalent from a recognized institution in Canada or English-speaking country.
• Completion of at least 12 credits from a postsecondary institution in Canada or from a country where English is the primary language, official language, and the language of instruction.
• English Language Test with minimum score as follow:
(only valid for two years):
TOEFL: 60 iBT*
4. New Criminal Record Check via BC Criminal Records Review Branch (for both children & vulnerable adults).
5. Record of clear TB Test.
6. Letter of clearance from a physician.